Part 3: The Final Part

Two Hearts Apart has ended.
Feel free to stick around and read the previous chapters!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chapter 16: The reunion

The reunion between Zahraa and Zaheer was a moment that both of them would not soon forget. After reading his email Zahraa, too stunned and emotional for words, had instantly sent a reply. ‘Yes’ is all her email had said.

Zaheer hadn’t replied. He was done wasting time. He had other plans and he didnt want to waste his time with emails. He had spent years pining after this girl and he knew for certain that based on her intellect, character and piety, she was most definitely the girl for him. The minute after he received her reply, with a huge smile on his face, Zaheer began setting his plans into motion.

The next day he was on her doorstep.

With a bunch of roses in his hand and a big smile on his face he waited to be invited in, sat in her lounge and very calmly asked her father for his daughter's hand in marriage. Zahraa wasn’t even there at the time. She had known nothing of Zaheer’s unexpected visit and was still waiting for him to reply to the email she sent the previous night. Out shopping with Saaleha, Zahraa walked into her home to find Zaheer sitting and chatting comfortably with her parents.

She was so shocked that she almost dropped the parcels that she had in her hand.
“Whats going on here?” Zahraa managed to mumble through the wild surprise and excitement that was occurring in her mind.

Nobody replied for a while and the silence only made Zahraa more anxious.
She repeated her question: “No really, can someone tell me whats happening here?”

“Relax Zahraa” her father said smiling. “Your mother and I have just been chatting to this very nice fellow over here. It turns out that he is actually interested in marrying you”

Now Zahraa was so surprised that she actually had to sit down to catch her breath. Sure Zaheer had asked her in the email to marry him, but she hadn’t expected this. Not like this. Not so soon.

“So” her father continued: “We think he is a very good guy and very well suited for you too but well... we need your input.”

Zahraa was at a loss for words so she continued staring, first at her parents then at Zaheer, then at her parents then back at Zaheer.

Now her mother spoke: “Yusuf I think that we should give these two a chance to talk don’t you? Let them catch up and all of that and then we can take it from there. Poor Zahraa does seem a bit stunned.”

With that Zahraa’s parents quickly left the room, leaving Zahraa and Zaheer staring at each other.

Zaheer was the first to speak: “So you gonna marry me or what?” he said with a smile on his face. “I know you said yes, well im assuming that's what your yes was for...am I right”
Zahraa spoke slowly. “Yes, you're right, but well you really managed to catch me off guard Zaheer. I didn’t think you meant that all this should happen so well... soon!”
“Why not?” Zaheer asked blatantly. “I wasted enough time Zahraa. If I wasn’t so stupid we’d be married a long time ago. I didn’t wanna waste another moment spending my days without you.”
“But come now Zaheer” Zahraa replied, finally regaining her composure. “We not even sure about this.”
“Zahraa I have never been so sure about anything before. I know we never really know and for that reason I've been reading Istikhaara salaah and making dua. And again I say, I have never been so sure about anything before.”

Zahraa remained silent.

Zaheer continued talking.

He moved closer to her looked right at her and said honestly and calmly:
“Look, Im not saying that I cant live without you, because well I'm sure I could. Im saying that I don’t want to. Im not choosing you because of some stupid high school crush that Ive harboured for years, im choosing you because I know that you have everything I need in a partner in order to have a successful marriage. Im not saying that we wont have our bumpy roads and rocky paths, its inevitable that we will. Instead Im saying that while I know that marriage may be tough, you’re the only person I want by my side when I conquer those bumpy roads and rocky paths. And I know that with you Allah will always come first, and I know now that that is what is most important."

Now it was Zahraa’s turn to reply and again she was at a loss for words. What could she say at a time like this? How could she even fathom what her heart was feeling?
“Okay Zaheer” she said eventually. “Let’s do this. I’m with you. I’ve always been with you. Let’s travel this path together. Let’s do it.”

Zaheer smiled and Zahraa smiled in return

No longer apart, now they were finally together.

1 comment:

What did you think of it? Leave a message